117 Broadway
Prosper, TX 75078

Phone 972.346.4501
Fax 972.346.4503

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My 1st DISC Experience


 
I have only been to the chiropractor once. I was pregnant with my second child, a very stubborn breech baby. I tried everything, I lay inverted on an ironing board, I did acupuncture, I took some herbal concoction, and this kid would simply not flip. When I told my Doula that I had gone to this particular chiropractor (I won’t name any names, but apparently I should have known better) she said, “NO! Don’t go to them. They don’t know anything.” Oh, ok. I just kind of figured that all chiropractors were the same, more or less. Apparently, just like any doctor, not all chiropractors are created equal.

My first experience at DISC Chiropractic with Dr. Stephans was totally different than my previous liaison at 38 weeks pregnant. I called DISC and made my appointment for 2pm, we live really close so it was an easy drive into the big town of Prosper. By big, I mean, I hope you don’t get lost in this quaint 3 stoplight town. DISC is located right on the main drag next to the City Hall. Who knew?

After filling out all the new patient paperwork and questionnaire, the receptionist led me to the exam room. She took my blood pressure on both arms. Apparently you can tell if there may be circulatory issues if there is a blood pressure discrepancy. I was fine. I am always slightly normal-low. Then she took me to the scales. Yes, I said scales, plural. This is my worst nightmare. This is the precise reason that I would chose the dentist over the doctor any day. I hate stepping on the scale. Now there are TWO scales. Deep breath, exhale, feel the fear and do it anyways. I stepped on just one scale to get my overall weight and then stepped on one scale with my left foot and the other with my right foot. There was a TWENTY pound difference between the two weights. That is crazy! I had no idea that I carried my weight so differently. Later I asked Dr. Stephans what the average discrepancy is and he said that we should aim for less than 10 pounds different. Oh. Here I thought that I had little information to gain from my chiropractic experience.  

Laying on the chiropractic table and Dr. Stephans manipulated, twisted and gently pushed ( I am sure the technical chiropractic term is “pushed”) my joints and along my spine. Nope, no pain, no tenderness, no tweeks. (again, I am sure tweeked must be the appropriate technical term) After the initial exam he ascertained that my left side was far too flexible and my right side was locked up like a prison. Hmmm…and here I thought that I could have been the poster child for chiropractic health! I do have knee problems when I run too much and tension headaches at night and he was able to help narrow down the cause. Apparently I am wound tighter than a drum in my neck. I am going in for x-rays next week to see what is really happening in there. But, don’t tell my husband, I have really been enjoying the nightly head massages to help with the tension headaches. What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him right??

Until next time, happy stretching!

Your faithful DISC Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment